- Sorting rules MUST be followed closely or else carts may not be emptied.
- Ensure cart lids are completely closed so waste material is not spilled during collection.
- Ensure material does not become wedged by loosely placing items in the cart.
- Do not leave bags or items beside or on top of the carts without an “Additional Bag Tag” fixed to the item. Only material inside the carts will be collected. Drivers do not get out of the truck.
- Set out the carts by 7:45 am according to your collection calendar. Your collection date will not change.
Preparing material for the Organics Cart
- Line the bottom of your cart with newspaper, paper towel or an approved 100% compostable bag to ensure items from sticking to the bottom. NO plastic bags, including thin grocery produce bags, can be put into the organics cart.
- Layer wet items with dry ones to ensure contents do not freeze in the winter.
- If you have more organic material than what will fit in your cart, take the compostable materials directly to the Recycle Depot Compost Bunker or rent an "Additional Organics Cart" from the City. Make sure nothing is protruding from waste carts such as bags, twigs etc.
- If possible, wait until the day before collection day to clear your fridge of the food you're disposing.
- The material in organics carts will be checked at random. Households that continually include non-organic material may be tagged and their carts may not be emptied.
Acceptable Materials For Your Organics Cart
- Leaves, shrubbery, and twigs
- Cold Ashes (from untreated wood)
- Food soiled paper towel, napkins, paper egg carton, pizza box, etc.
- Fruits, vegetables and their peelings
- Coffee grounds, filters and tea bags
- Weeds and grass clippings
- Small pieces of clean (minimal graphic) cardboard
Can't Use Our Composting Program?
If you are unable to utilize the Compost Pickup Program you could also use the compost bunker located at the Centra Cam Depot (4402 - 51 Avenue), as an environmentally friendly way to dispose of yard waste. The bunker is available for drop off of materials 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Preparing material for the Waste Cart
- The maximum allowable cart weight cannot exceed 50 kg.
- Please do not overfill cart, the lid needs to be completely closed
Acceptable Materials for Your Waste Cart
Any household items that aren’t organic or can’t be recycled including:
- Animal waste (bagged)
- Cigarette butts
- Garden hose
- Plastic bags
- Soiled wipes
Managing Your Extra Waste
When organics are sorted into their own cart, most families generate much less waste than before. However, if you cannot fit your waste into your waste cart with the lid closed tight, you can:
- take extra waste to the sanitary landfill (tipping fees in effect)
- purchase a solid waste collection tag for $5.00 per tag at City Hall, the Public Works office or at the Aquatic Centre